Eight medical personnel who cared for Maradona will stand trial for criminal negligence over the footballer's death

Eight medical personnel who cared for Maradona will stand trial for criminal negligence over the footballer's death

An Argentinian judge has ruled that eight medical personnel involved in the care of soccer star Diego Maradona will face a public trial for criminal negligence.

Mail Online

Brain surgeon Leopoldo Luque and psychiatrist Agustina Cosachov are among those who will stand trial for homicide, the judge ruled.

The defendants are accused of failing to take proper care of Maradona when he was recovering from surgery, which led to his death.

The 236-page charge states that the judge will probe 'the behaviours – active or by omission – of each of the accused which led to and contributed to the realisation of the harmful result'.

The trial is not expected to begin until the end of 2023 or early 2024.

Maradona died at the age of 60 on November 25, 2020 due to a cardio-respiratory arrest while he was recovering at a house outside Buenos Aires from surgery for a blood clot on his brain.

After his brain surgery, Maradona's doctors 'demanded' for him to be released from the hospital and return to his home in Tigres.

However, the inquest ruled that Maradona 'was not in full control of his mental faculties' at the time and therefore 'was not in a condition to take decisions regarding his health and care.'

Maradona’s autopsy said he died of natural causes, but Argentina’s judiciary started investigating the case after pressure from ex-footballer’s family.

A medical panel said the performance of the staff that took care of the 1986 World Cup winner was inadequate.

A board ruled in 2021 that doctors behaved in a 'inappropriate, deficient and reckless manner'.

The doctors' charges can result in up to 25 years' imprisonment.

They have all denied wrongdoing.

A lawyer for one of the national hero's sons told Reuters that Maradona was 'in a situation of helplessness at the time of his death.

Mario Baudry said: 'As soon as I saw the cause, I said it was homicide. I fought for a long time and here we are, with this stage completed.'

Maradona had battled alcohol and drug addiction for many years and had undergone brain surgery in November 2020.

The medical panel last year found that Maradona had a 'better chance of survival' had he received 'adequate medical care'.

It added that the 1986 World Cup winner was left in 'agony' for at least 12 hours before his death and that the care he received was 'inadequate, incomplete and imprudent.'

The ruling found that his doctors were 'clearly aware that the condition could become fatal,' but were 'indifferent to the situation and did not change their approach and had 'essentially abandoned the health of their patient to pure chance.'

After his brain surgery, Maradona's doctors 'demanded' for him to be released from the hospital and return to his home in Tigres.

However, the inquest ruled that Maradona 'was not in full control of his mental faculties' at the time and therefore 'was not in a condition to take decisions regarding his health and care.'

A copy of the report shared with Reuters said: 'The action of the health team in charge of treating DAM (Diego Armando Maradona) was inadequate, deficient and reckless.

'He presented unequivocal signs of a prolonged agonizing period, so we conclude that the patient was not properly monitored from 00:30 on 11/25/2020.'

Widely hailed as one of the greatest footballers of all time, Maradona's glittering career included stints at Barcelona, Napoli, Seville, Boca Juniors and Argentinos Juniors.